A natural nonhuman sentient race. They do not have a country, but instead live in steddings. They are humanoid, standing about ten feet tall. They have long tufted ears and broad, vaguely snout-like noses. The life span of an Ogier is at least three or four times that of a human.
See also: the Ways
Interesting aside - There is an Ogier Street in Charleston, South Carolina, Robert Jordan's home!
- In the Guide
- In New Spring
- In The Eye of the World
- TEotW,Ch4 - Thom offers to tell stories of Ogier. The Emond's Field folk do not believe they are real.
- TEotW,Ch9 - Moiraine refers to Ogier as stonemasons.
- TEotW,Ch29 - Perrin, Egwene and Elyas camp in an abandoned stedding.
- TEotW,Ch35 - Ogier built the Caemlyn Royal Palace and much of the Inner City.
- TEotW,Ch36 - Ogier rarely leave their stedding any more since the Ways began to go bad.
- TEotW,Ch42 - Tinkers are very interested in Ogier Treesongs. Loial tried to teach them to Tinkers but the trees would not listen to men.
- TEotW,Ch45 - The Ogier language is highly inflected sounding almost like very low bird song.
- TEotW,Ch48 - Male Ogier have a strip of hair up the middle of their chest as thick as fur.
- In The Great Hunt
- TGH,Ch25 - There were other Ogier in Cairhien when Loial was there before.
- TGH,Ch26 - Loial is reluctant to venture out in Cairhien because there are other Ogier in the city.
- TGH,Ch33 - Loial finds out that the Ogier he was worried about all left Cairhien because Galldrian stopped paying them.
- TGH,Ch35 - In the Age of Legends Ogier could travel freely, but after the Breaking the stedding were lost. Ogier who could not find a stedding developed the Longing. They eventually grew ill and died. Ogier are still bound to the stedding.
- TGH,Ch38 - The Ogier grove in Tar Valon is one of the few that still exists.
- In The Dragon Reborn
- TDR,Prologue - The Ogier have called meetings between the stedding.
- TDR,Ch6 - Min never has viewings of Ogier, only of humans.
- TDR,Ch11 - The Ogier stonemasons consider Tar Valon their finest work.
- TDR,Ch42 - The Ogier masons left Illian during the winter even though their work was not done.
- TDR,Ch50 - Moiraine asks Loial about Be'lal because the Ogier have long memories and are scholars.
- In The Shadow Rising
- TSR,Ch14 - An Ogier's oath is absolutely unbreakable.
- TSR,Ch16 - Faile tricks Loial into swearing an oath to take her through the Ways, forcing him to lead her, rather than Perrin, to the Manetheren Waygate.
- TSR,Ch18 - The Ogier grove near Tear is now just pastureland.
- TSR,Ch23 - Ogier stedding cannot be entered in Tel'aran'rhiod.
- TSR,Ch25 - Comran was the first Aiel to discover Ogier stedding in the Dragonwall and begin trading with them.
- TSR,Ch25 - Garam tells Rhodric and Jeordam that he has heard the Aes Sedai hired Ogier stonemasons to build them a great city. His father plans to build a great city as well.
- TSR,Ch26 - Jonai and Adan meet a band of Ogier. They are suffering from the Longing because they cannot find a stedding.
- TSR,Ch26 - In the Age of Legends, Ogier and Aiel sang while Nym danced to promote growth and health in the fields.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Ch9 - Balwer reports to Pedron Niall that there are meetings going on between the Ogier stedding.
- LoC,Ch20 - The Ogier know of several stedding such as the one by Artur Hawkwing's monument that have never been repopulated. They are too near the lands of men.
- LoC,Ch45 - Loial grows tired on the journey from the Two Rivers to Caemlyn so he takes a side trip to an abandoned stedding that Perrin recommends to rest up.
- LoC,Ch49 - In Ogier culture it is considered very rude for a man not to do what his wife says.
- LoC,Ch54 - Mentioning someone's ears is considered coarse among the Ogier.
- In Winter's Heart
- WH,Ch14 - In Seanchan (People), Ogier serve as soldiers and are called Gardeners.
- WH,Ch18 - The Ogier Gardeners in Ebou Dar are so fearsome that no one even thinks of questioning them.
- WH,Ch23 - The guardian in Far Madding completely cuts off channelers from the True Source much like an Ogier stedding.
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- In The Gathering Storm
- In Towers of Midnight
- ToM,Prologue - Ogier dead begin to appear around the stedding.
More Category Creatures